Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct outlines the standard behaviour expected from all participants of Elwood St Kilda Neighbourhood Learning Centre Inc. (ESNLC).
It is designed to provide guidance on expected social and ethical behaviour as well as assist participants in understanding their obligations and responsibilities in observing high standards of integrity, respect and fairness.
All participants of ESNLC are required to understand and act in accordance with this Code of Conduct. This Code should be read in conjunction with ESNLC’s policies and procedures.
A person acting in breach of this Code of Conduct may be asked to participate in performance management or misconduct processes, or to leave the premises and/or ESNLC programs and services.
This policy applies to all participants of ESNLC. Participants being:
- Committee of Management (CoM)
- Clients (and their representatives/attendees)
ESNLC has a reputation in the community of being a quality provider of adult education and community engagement; a reputation that has been built up by the hard work and dedication of a range of people, including all staff. ESNLC acknowledges that its continuing excellent reputation and success are dependent upon its honesty, integrity and sound ethical practices.
ESNLC recognises the rights of all participants to full participation in ESNLC-related activities and understands it has a responsibility to operate in the best interests of the community it serves.
To support this objective, this policy highlighting guiding principles and behavioural expectations has been put in place.
Expected Standards of Behaviour:
All ESNLC participants must demonstrate the following standards of behaviour at all times, where applicable, when engaged in ESNLC-related activities.
- Honesty in actions and engagement in ESNLC-related activities
- Developing and maintaining public trust
- Reporting unethical behaviour
- Understanding and responding to legitimate concerns
- Avoiding or declaring conflicts of interest – actual, potential, or perceived
- Carrying out activities safely and avoiding conduct that puts others at risk, including misuse of alcohol, drugs or other substances when engaged in ESNLC-related activities
- Make decisions without bias, based on consideration of all relevant information available
- Ensure all stakeholders of ESNLC have access to required information in a timely manner.
- Adhere to privacy and confidentiality as appropriate
- Respect and value the diverse community of ESNLC and contribute to an environment that is free of discrimination, harassment and bullying
- Contribute to a safe, encouraging and supportive environment that recognises and values diversity, abilities and contributions.
- Avoid using language which might isolate or discriminate against individuals based on their age, culture, socioeconomic background, education, mental or physical health, gender, sexuality or other personal factors
- Always treat all participants of ESNLC with fairness and respect.
- Carry out duties in a lawful manner and ensure actions are conducted in accordance with the law, recognising both legal and moral duties
- Taking responsibility for one’s own actions and decisions
- Using ESNLC’s resources and equipment efficiently and only for appropriate purposes, taking care to minimise waste
- Being punctual and reliable in attendance and duty
- Maintaining professional boundaries in your interactions with all ESNLC participants
- Making decisions and providing advice that is based on sound judgment, free of prejudice, favouritism or self-interest
- Openness to scrutiny – transparency in dealings and maintaining accurate and reliable records of data and communications
- Engaging constructively and sharing information with others where appropriate to support the delivery of best outcomes
- Not seeking gifts/benefits and refusing all offers or gifts/benefits that could reasonably be perceived as influencing or undermining the integrity of ESNLC or themselves.
- Taking all reasonable steps to protect children from abuse and/or unsafe situations
- Respecting cultural, religious and political differences and acting in a culturally sensitive way
- Modelling appropriate adult behaviour
- Listening to children and responding to their views and concerns appropriately
- Reporting and acting on any breaches of this Code of Conduct, complaints or concerns appropriately and treating them seriously and with respect
- Working with children in an open and transparent way – other adults should always know about the work you are doing with children
- Complying with our Child Safety Policy.
ESNLC Participants MUST NOT:
- Seek to use children in any way to meet the needs of adults
- Ignore or disregard any concerns, suspicions or disclosures of child abuse or inappropriate behaviour
- Use prejudice or oppressive behaviour with children
- Discuss topics of an adult nature, or use inappropriate language
- Engage in rough physical games
- Discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, culture, vulnerability or sexuality
- Initiate unnecessary physical contact with children or do things of a personal nature that children can do for themselves, such as toileting or changing clothes
- Exchange personal contact details such as phone number, social networking site or email addresses with children
- Initiate contact with children or their families outside of ESNLC, including through online platforms.
Participant Rights, Responsibilities & Conduct:
ESNLC participants have a right to:
- Be treated fairly and with respect regardless of age, race, gender, religion, sexuality, or disability
- Access all services and facilities as identified in enrolment information and/or membership
- Pursue their activities/learning in a supportive and safe environment free from intimidation and interference from others
- To seek an appropriate level of advice and support from tutors/facilitators regarding course or activity content
- Privacy of their personal information and records held by ESNLC
- Access the Complaints and Appeals policy to resolve disputes/complaints without fear of victimisation.
ESNLC participants are responsible for:
- Treating other ESNLC participants with respect and fairness regardless of age, race, gender, religion, sexuality, or disability
- Providing accurate and up to date information and/or details to ESNLC, and notifying ESNLC of any change of details in a timely manner
- Paying fees in a timely manner
- Meeting the terms of enrolment and/or membership and/or room hire where applicable
- Approaching all activities including course learning or activity requirements in an ethical manner, taking care to follow tutor/facilitator/staff instructions
- Following any reasonable direction from ESNLC staff or CoM
- Ensuring punctuality and regular attendance, and notification of non-attendance where relevant
- Working cooperatively and collaboratively with other ESNLC participants
- Always using ESNLC technology in a respectful manner, being considerate of other participants
- Returning ESNLC equipment/materials on time
- Reading and responding to ESNLC communications in a timely manner
- Approaching the Manager, or other ESNLC staff, at any time during their contact with ESNLC if they have any questions, issues or are experiencing difficulties.
ESNLC participant conduct:
Participants will refrain from:
- Using offensive language
- Smoking in and directly outside of the ESNLC building and front veranda
- Use of mobile phones or social media during class or activity duration unless deemed appropriate
- Bringing children to activities where they are not enrolled themselves, unless previously discussed with ESNLC staff
- Harassing or intimidating fellow ESNLC participants
- Damaging, stealing, modifying or misusing property (including electronic records)
- Being under the influence of alcohol, drugs or other illegal substances
- Engaging in any other behaviour, which could offend, embarrass or threaten others.